Tenth Anniversary of the Jackpot

Happy Tenth Birthday, IPCybercrime!

Ten years ago on this date you may have seen a goofball driving down Washington Boulevard in Culver City blasting the Tom Petty song ‘Free Falling’ while joyfully singing out the car window as if he were Tom Cruise in ‘Jerry Maguire‘.  That was me.  The reason for this occasion was that, just like the title character of the aforementioned film, I quit my job with no safety net or certain future in order to start my own business.

Six years prior to that, I married the love of my life.  Believe it or not, the anniversary of our marriage doesn’t equate to me as much as the day I told my wife that we were never going to have to have jobs again.  I stopped off at the grocery store on the corner of Doheny and Beverly and came home with that chilled  ten-dollar bottle of California sparkling wine.

Rob at work in 2001

I began my company in the kitchen of my one-bedroom apartment on Oakhurst Drive in Beverly Hills.  All I had was a desk, a fax machine, and a computer that I assembled myself from scraps.  I spent the next week or two learning Quickbooks.  During this time I attended the International AntiCounterfeiting Coalition’s Fall Meeting in Las Vegas.  This was the first time I showed up in public as Rob Holmes, proprietor.  Just as for my father before me, this organization and its members are my family and home.  I look forward to spending my tenth IACC Fall Meeting in Orlando with these fine people.

Since 2001 I have carved a niche for myself in the areas of Intellectual Property and the Internet.  I catch bad guys and get paid for it.  Half of the time I’m sitting on my ass at Starbucks.  Life is good.  Thanks to all of you who have made this a possibility for me.  I love you all.  Let’s have another great decade.

Now I’m going to finish my coffee.

6 comments on “Tenth Anniversary of the Jackpot

1. Rob Holmes
    October 4, 2011 at 1:18 pm #

True. It’s not that the money’s any better. It’s just nice to be able to work in your underoos. 😉

2. Rob Holmes
    October 4, 2011 at 1:18 pm #

3. Rob Holmes
    October 4, 2011 at 1:18 pm #

4. Vicki Siedow
    October 4, 2011 at 1:16 pm #

Congrats, buddy! I totally get where you’re coming from. I can’t imagine having a JOB (Just Over Broke). I love fighting pirates on my own terms, with flexible hours and attire. 😉

5. Vicki Siedow
    October 4, 2011 at 1:16 pm #

6. Vicki Siedow
    October 4, 2011 at 1:16 pm #

Comments are closed.

Living by Accident

Sometimes Risk is the Reward

Living by Accident

Sometimes Risk is the Reward

WordCamp Los Angeles 2017

September 30th & Oct 1st, 2017

Hi-Tech P.I.

Helping people see the forest for the trees, online.

Knockoff Report™

News and Views in the World of Anti-Counterfeiting

Candy Noble's Blog

Candy Noble for HD 89

Kat Scratch

Catch the Fever

talk normal

Tim Phillips makes the bad noises stop

IP Litigation From Flyover Country